Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Irrigation in the Expansion

This is our garden expansion:

It looks huge I know.  It pretty much doubles the size of the garden we had last year (and the picture doesn't even do it justice.  I think the dimensions come out to be 35 by 60 feet. 

This is the begining of the layout for the irrigation ditches:
 
I used rebar and a long measuring tape to mark my rows and keep them straight.  Each bed is about 3 feet wide and surrounded on all sides by irrigation.  I plan on planting the edges of the ditches and leaving the center of each row for a walking path so I can pull weeds easier.
 
This is the finished product with water flowing and everything:
 
The hardest part is leveling the ditches so the water flows down every row and doesn't overflow where I don't want it to.  It took hours of shoveling and following the flow of the water around, but I think I got it to work pretty well.  I'm sure there will be adjustments along the way, but for now it is good enough.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. nice garden. glad to see some people still understand that the earth is our mother

    ReplyDelete