Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Corn is 100% In the Ground

This week I finally got around to planting the rest of my corn beds.  I planted half a bed with sweet corn and four and a half beds with dent corn.  The variety of dent corn is called Pungo Creek Butcher.  I find this Variety fascinating because last year the stalks grew to 10 or 11 feet tall and made beautiful ears of multi colored corn that my chickens went totally nuts over.  I am growing this corn mostly for the chickens, but also because I want to try a little for making cornbread. 
 
I couldn't believe all the different colors it came in.  It was a literal rainbow of corn. 


Last year I interplanted the corn with squash and beans using the three sisters concept.  Unfortunately it didn't work out well for the squash which didn't get enough sun or the beans which were difficult to harvest once everything had filled out.  It did however work very well for the corn which grew very tall and made nicely filled out ears.  I saved the seed from the biggest and fullest looking ears to plant this year.  I know that there is a possibilty that some of the seed was crossed with the dent corn that the farmer plants across the street, but if it grows into anything like I had last year I will be happy (and so will the chickens). 

I am hoping to grow enough this year to seriously supplement what I buy from the store to feed my chickens.  I feel better knowing that what I am feeding my chickens (and subsequently myself) is as locally grown and enviromentally friendly as I can make it.  Not to mention the cost I could save by growing it myself from saved seed.  All it really cost me this year is time and some effort on my part.  Pretty good trade if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment