Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Additions to the Herb Collection

I wanted to fill out the herb patch a little so I bought a few things to add to it.  One thing I love to cook with is rosemary.  I use it in most of my chicken dishes.  Another great addition to the herb bed is basil.  I had to buy some purple basil this year because I only had seeds for green basil and I like the variety.

 
I also bought some other herbs to fill out my collection.
 
This cilantro is just getting over it's shock and starting to put out new leaves.
 
This is some of the basil that I started from seed a couple months ago.  I also planted some chamomile in this bed.
 
 I decided to use some of my annual herbs to fill out the pest repellent flower bed that boarders two sides of one of the additions.  I have marigolds, natursiums, and dahlburg daises which are all supposed to repel harmful insects.  I have also planted one or two purple coneflower plants, though I am not sure if they will make it or not yet.
 
The rest of my perennial herbs will stay in the herb patch except maybe the rosemary.  Rosemary won't make it through the winter here and this year I am going to try to dig it up and bring it inside in a pot to overwinter.  I tend to kill rosemary when I grow it indoors, but that won't stop me from trying again this fall.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment