Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sprouts Are Coming Up Everywhere!

Its been a couple weeks since I planted seeds in the expansion area and things are starting to sprout in most of the beds.  This first seeds to go in were my Montezuma Red Bush Beans.  I only had one small packet of seeds for this so I was only able to plants two rows - one on each side of the bed. These beans will be my version of kidney beans and I hope to be able to feed some to the chickens eventully.  Depending on how much of a crop I get out of them this year, I will be saving most of the seeds for planting next year.

 
Here is one from the first row to really start coming up.
 
 
The next bed that was planted was the winter squash patch.  There is an aray of small seedlings pushing up through the soil. 
 
Butternut Squash

Delicata squash

Pie Pumpkin
 
 So many of the squash have come up that I am already starting to worry about where I am going to store them for the winter.  I don't think I have ever heard of anyone planting this many squash on purpose.  I just hope that my chickens like squash as much as they like everything else in my garden.

.
Some of the corn has started sprouting.  The first corn to come up was the sweet corn I planted.  The dent corn has just started to come up a couple days later and it takes a longer time to mature so I have less cross pollination to worry about with these two varieties.
 
Even the peas have just started to put out flowers.
I think I might be adding fresh pea pods to my salads in just a few short weeks.
 
Soon I won't have much time to plant anything else because I will be too busy harvesting! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment