Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Onion Sets Have Sprouted

When I planted out my onions I had about half of the bed filled with onions that I started from seed back in January.  The other half was filled in with sets that I got from the local hardware store.  I planted all of them about 3 weeks ago, but until just a couple days ago the bed only looked half full because of the seedlings.  Now the other half is slowly filling in as the sets send up thier first leaves.
 


I still have a few sets left over from the planting of the main bed.  I hope there are enough to border the brussel sprout and broccoli bed.  I would hate to let any of them go to waste when there is perfectly good dirt to put them in. 

All in all I think there will be a total of about 450 onions when it is said and done.  I know that sounds like a ton, but we use them in our cooking almost every day.  I also want to make my own onion powder from the onions that are small or have thick necks at harvest.  The rest will become storage onions.  Last year I think we planted about 100 - 150 onion sets in the spring.  I never did count how many we harvested total, but I know they only lasted us until December.  My goal this year is to not have to buy onions from the store until the next harvest.  Lofty ideals I know.  But I think it can be done as long as I am able to store them properly so they don't go bad.  If it works out well this year it will also give me a good idea of how many onions I need to have room for when I am planning next year's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment