Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Pole Beans Are In

I keep a pretty close eye on the farming activity around my house because I think they know the best times to get their crops in the ground.  Yesterday they went over the fields setting up their irrigation ditches with the tractor.  Last year I never saw them go over it again to plant, so I assume that they do both at the same time.  It was my cue to plant the warm season seeds, or at least get started.  So I planted my pole beans.  I am glad I set up the bean tipis before hand because all I had to do now was push the little seeds into the ground and give them some water.  The poles aound the edges of the bed each got three bean seeds, and the ones in the middle got four.  The seeds were saved from last year's crop so I hope they all sprout which they should since they are "fresh" seeds.  I am also hoping that they fill out enough to complete the sides of the tipis.  I think it will be fun to pick the beans from inside the shade of the tall plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment