Sunday, April 28, 2013

Are There Craft Fairs In My Future?

I have been making crocheted hats now for about three or four years.  Mostly I have made some for family and friends, but I have also sold a few here and there to co workers.  Unfortunately that leaves a very small audience for any type of business pursuits I may have had.  I think it may be time to branch out.  I do have a small collection of premade hats and scarves, but selling them to people can be hard because I can not predict what colors or patterns most people will find appealing.  I know what I like, but that doesn't mean that someone else would be willing to pay for it. 

I was thinking about talking to shop owners at the nearby ski resorts to see if I could find a market for my items there.  Another idea I had was to start up an etsy site of my own, but I think that market is so full of other people's products that mine would simply not be noticed (and I'm not willing to pay extra for their version of marketing).  That's when the idea of craft fairs popped into my head.  I've been to a few craft fairs out here and they can be very busy places.  Busy means that it would be a good place to try to sell my wares because people don't just go to craft fairs for fun - they usually want to buy stuff (hopefully my stuff).  The last idea I had was to try to sell my goods at the local farmers market.  That would work out in many ways because I could sell more than one type of thing.  There would be a place to sell my extra veggies, home made soaps and handmade hats and scarves.  The only thing that is holding me back from that is the size of my garden ( so far I eat everything I grow - no extras), and my limited amount of time for manning a booth.  It's hard to have to work so much when I'd rather be making things that I can sell.  Maybe someday I will find my happy medium

No comments:

Post a Comment