Friday, April 19, 2013

Strawberry Patch Update

The strawberry patch is filling out nicely with the warmer weather that we have been having lately.


It looks like we will be getting more than two strawberries from the patch this year (hopefully) as long as I can keep the critters away from them.  It has also become evident how far outside the original bed they have spread now that they are actively producing leaves.  On one side they have spread at least one foot over the boundary and on the other they have taken over the irrigation ditch from years past. 
They look quite happy don't you think?
 
I have also started to notice the beginings of flowers on some of the plants already!  I am hoping to make some strawberry jam from this years crop so I hope they flower like crazy.  We have many resident birds that like to hang out near the strawberry patch so I may need to invest in some netting if I intend on harvesting any strawberries for myself - though I don't mind sharing a few here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment