Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Garden Updates: Take One

Seeing as it is now midsummer and I am just now able to catch up of garden updates I thought we could go back in time a bit and see a few garden progressions - you see I was still taking pictures for my own records.

So here goes:

I ended up creating an odd shaped garden this year due to having to leave some decorations in place for the time being.  The main section of the garden is 10x15 feet with a 10x5 extension on the side.  Eventually it will become a 20x15 rectangle or a 20x20 square.

Pulling up the sod was the hardest and longest chore of getting this garden started.
It took me a few weekends and a shovel, but I did it.
 
After the sod was gone I spread a few bags of mushroom compost over the area to give it a little boost.
Finally I turned over the dirt one final time with my trusty shovel.
 
I am trying to make a point of not using any gas powered tools in this garden to see if I notice a difference in the soil quality.  I have read that rototilling is good for the initial turning over, but may create a layer  of hard packed dirt under the soft layer that plant roots have a hard time pushing through. 
 
I think I will be spoiled by this soft, dark Midwestern dirt.  It is definitely a contrast to the hard packed clay I had to deal with in the mountains.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment