Sunday, March 16, 2014

Starting Seeds 2014

I recently took an inventory of the seeds that I had on hand and made a list of what I wanted to grow.  I still had quite a variety of seeds, though some of them are at least two years old, so I am not sure how they will germinate for me. I also needed to figure out how many plants of each type I wanted to grow in the garden.  Right now I only have space for about 40 seedlings under grow lights, so I decided to go ahead and plant what I have now, so if something doesn't grow then I still have time to get more seeds and try again in a few weeks.

I also gathered together some things for starting seeds.  I have a bin of potting mix for easy storage and instead of waiting for seed trays to appear on the store shelves I decided to use cheap Rubbermaid bins for trays.  I figure they are more durable and stable and will make carrying the seedlings back and forth to the outside sun a little easier for me.
The seed pots were free from the nursery I worked at last summer (that was an awesome job!). 
 
These are some plant markers that I made by cutting up a 2 1/2 gallon water jug.
 
I filled all the pots with potting soil and then I got down to the business of planting.
 
I have 2 varieties of bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, moskvich tomatoes, celery, brussel sprouts, cilantro, chamomile, cumin, echinacea and black eyed susans planted in this round.
 
Then the freshly planted seeds were covered with a sheet of plastic and placed in a sunny window under a grow light.  Now all I have to do is wait and I am hoping that I will have some brand new sprouts to usher in spring with in a few days.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Looking good. I like the idea of using bins for trays.

    ReplyDelete