Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Walk in the Woods

Today I had a chance to go snowshoeing in a park by my house after work and I took it.  The weather was warmer than it had been and will be for a while, so I took my chance to get out with out freezing off any fingers or toes.  I had been hiking in 8 - 10 degree temps in the last couple of weeks, so when the thermometer was about 30 today it actually felt rather balmy.  I think I might have actually overdressed because I was sweating pretty good when I reached my halfway point.  I had to finish the hike without my hat and gloves just so I could cool off a little bit. 

While I was out enjoying the snow I heard the shouts of children playing in the distance which reminded me of my own child hood.  The joy of freshly fallen snow on a sledding hill, of building snow forts and snowmen  in the back yard, and having snowball fights on the run through the neighborhood.  It seems as though we forget about enjoying this weather when we grow up.  Snow becomes something to be dreaded because the roads will be bad for travel, and we have places we are supposed to be on time.  It also creates more work for us because we now need to shovel the sidewalks and the driveways and clean it off the car before we can leave. 

I hope that reminding myself about the fun side of a snowstorm can help to relieve some of the worry that I feel when I am dealing with the not so fun side of the snow.   Yes it can be treacherous for travel, but it can also open our eyes to the beauty of the world and maybe slow us down long enough that we can enjoy it.  Walking through the woods does just that - move me slow enough through my world that I can take notice of all the little beautiful details.

No comments:

Post a Comment