Thursday, June 27, 2013

Weeding the Corn

The corn beds have been on the back burner for a while now but I was finally able to get around to pulling the weeds in them this week.  It was quite the project.  This is what they looked like before weeding last week:
In some of the beds the weeds were taller than the corn.  You could hardly tell that there was corn growing in some areas because the weeds were so thick.  This made it frustrating to water this area because it seems like every time I did the weeds grew twice as fast.  It is not my intention to make my weeds grow faster, so I really needed to do something about it.
 
The last day that I had off I was able to devote many hours to weeding the corn patch and here is what it looks like after:
As you can see the corn has grown a few inches in this short time.  I am hoping that it will be enough to shade out any new weeds that pop up underneath them.  It is also nice to know that the weeds will no longer be stealing nutrients and water from the corn either. 
 
You can even see all the way down the row.  I am trying to find enough boards to put down the middle of each row so I can walk through the row without getting stuck in the mud after I water.  The boards will also help to keep the weeds from growing down the path which means less weeding in the future.  It sure does feel nice to have this out of the way for a little while.  Soon the garden will be big and strong enough to let the chickens out again so they can go on weed and bug patrol for me too.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment