Monday, June 24, 2013

Dwarf Orange Tree

A few years ago I ordered a dwarf orange tree from a nursery.  When I got the tree it was little more than a twig that I stuck in some dirt and hoped it would live.  Well live it did.  It grew very little that first year, though it did put out a couple flowers that actually made it to the fruit stage.  The oranges are tiny - about the size of a nickle, and tart.  They still taste like an orange, but with more zip than you would expect from an orange.  The following year the tree never put out any flowers, but did grow a lot more new leaves.  This year it has rounded out nicely and has produced an abundance of flowers.

 
The flowers have such a sweet fragrance.  I love it when I can catch a whiff just walking by.  I think that we will have many more oranges this year even if they are just tiny things.

No comments:

Post a Comment