Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sight Seeing

We took a little road trip this weekend to see what we could see.  We camped in a couple nice sites and visited Mesa Verde.  Mesa Verde is a pretty cool place and I highly recommend a visit.  We only had time to see a couple things while we were there but everything was super informative, not to mention fascinating (if you are into that kind of thing like I am). Here are some pictures of what we saw, but they really can't do it justice.  Sometimes you just have to be there.

Looking down into a kiva

 

 
A spiral pecked into the rock.

Possible storage room?
 
I thought this might be a room for drying food on the racks that lined the walls
 
Some of the buildings had multiple levels and tunnels that connected several rooms together.
 
The Spruce Tree House from across the valley
 
Spruce Tree house up close

The View from inside a reconstructed kiva
 
There will be more pictures coming.  We just took so many that I need to break them up into different posts.
 
The people that lived in this area are fascinating to me.  To know that they could build a town inside of a cave and farm this barren and dry land means alot to me.  These buildings are only a trace of what took place here and much of it is not understood well.  No one knows why they left.  They speculate that drought or warfare drove them out of the area.  As I walked the trails around these towns I imagined that I was a villager walking amongst the ruins.  This place can really transport you to a different time.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment