Sunday, May 19, 2013

Squash Extravaganza In The Making

Last year our squash crop failed horribly.  I tried the three sisters concept and planted it amongst the corn which grew way taller than expected and shaded out everything around it.  This year the squash are getting their very own beds.  This way they can soak up as much sun as their little squash hearts desire and have room to roam as their beds are next to low growing crops with plenty of space to go around. 
 
I have also planted a large number of squash because part of the plan with them is to feed the extras to the chickens.  I have planted 4 snap jack pumpkins which grow hull-less seeds which are awesome for roasted pumpkin seeds.  I also have 4 pie pumpkins, 8 delicata squash, 8 acorn squash, and 8 butternut squash.  If they all take off I am going to inundated with squash by the end of the year.  Right now I am just trying to be patient while I am waiting for the seeds to sprout.


No comments:

Post a Comment