Saturday, May 25, 2013

Happy Chickens

If there is one thing our garden is really good at growing it is weeds.  It is a constant battle to keep the weeds down since I refuse to use herbicides in my garden.  We do a lot of hand weeding which leaves us with buckets and buckets of weeds.  And what do we do with all those weeds you ask?  Why feed them to the chickens of course!  Now the chickens don't actually eat everything we throw in their pen, but I'm sure they are finding plenty of bugs and other things amongst the piles.  It also acts as a nice surface for them to scratch in and play their chicken games.
 
With all the extra forage they are getting they are providing us with many eggs.
 
Right now I'd say that we get 3 to 4 dozen eggs a week from nine chickens.  Not a bad trade if you ask me.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment