Saturday, April 13, 2013

Radishes in the Carrot Bed

It was time again this week to plant another round of carrots and radishes.  I followed the same procedure as before: 
dig shallow trenches where I want my seeds to go
 
cover lightly with soil
 
mulch with straw and cover with a board
 
I did notice some tiny little seedlings when I uncovered the first row
 
These are the radish seedlings
 
I planted the radishes with the carrots because carrots take so long to germinate.  The radishes kinda act like row markers and they mature very quickly so they are usually picked just as the carrots are making their appearance.  I am hoping this year we can keep up with eating the radishes before they get gigantic and woody.  Last year we had so many radishes that we couldn't even give enough away fast enough.  I figured that one row can only hold about 12-16 radishes, so one row every couple weeks should keep us in radishes throughout the whole summer without letting them get out of control.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment