Friday, April 12, 2013

Lettuce Bed - Round Two

It has been a couple weeks since I planted out the first round of lettuce and spinach and to my pleasant surprise they are mostly doing quite well despite the cold nights we have been having.  Unfortunately the spinach hasn't fared as well.  About half of what I planted out must have gotten a little too cold and died even with the mulch and cover I had over them.

The second round of starts that I planted about a month ago were starting to look a little big for their pots so it was time for them to join the first round in the great outdoors.  First thing I had to do was figure out were the first batch ended so I pulled all the mulch away from the end of it, sadly unveiling the stumps left from the dead spinach.  I figured there was no sense in wasting space in the bed, so out came the dead spinach and in went the next round of transplants.

 
Some of the transplants look bigger than the first round I planted out, but I expect that after some time to get over the shock of being transplanted they will fall into the same growth pattern that the first set did.
 
Here they are all mulched in:
 
 
And here is what the bed looks like for now with only two rounds of lettuce and spinach transplants:
 
The older transplants are in the back of the picture and though they don't look very big they have definately been growing - if only very slowly.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment