Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Begining of the Kitchen Herb Garden

There is a good sized patch of dirt nestled next to the house that is outlined by the porch, a shed and a asphalt pathway.  Early in the spring the snow next to the house is the first to melt and there is where I planted some peas - just after the snow melted back a little.

When they did finally come up there were only a few here and there, so I planted again when it was a little warmer.
When those started coming up I added a row of carrots to the front of them.  I also started planting out the lettuce seedlings as they started to size up enough to withstand transplanting.  They filled the upper right hand corner of the bed.  The rest of the bed was to become a mishmash of various herbs that I hope to have back every year, and some that are annuals.
 
In the mix are: Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Chives, Cilantro, Chamomile and Echinacea.  I also managed to squeeze about six celery plants near the lettuce. 
 
I find this little garden patch very convenient since it is just outside the back door to the kitchen.  Even while I am cooking I can simply step outside with a pair of scissors and a bowl and come back in with fresh herbs or veggies for my meal.  Doesn't get any fresher than that!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment