Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Garden Progressions: Onions

Empty bed, freshly planted.
 
The first tips poking up

They grow an inch a day I swear!
 
Glowing with the sunset.

Filling out nicely.


No bulbs yet!
Here they have started to fall over, though most only show the slightest signs of bulbing up.

Within a week or two, the rest have fallen.  I am waiting for a dry spell so I can harvest them.
 
The brief dry spell had arrived so out they came!

 
If you can believe it, I planted the same number of red and yellow onions this spring.  However we had a ton of rain while they were growing and many of the plants had begun to rot in the ground.  The red onions performed very poorly - very few of them made any decent sized bulb and most of them had to be thrown in the compost heap because they turned to mush in my fingers.  The yellows faired better, though I still had to compost a lot of those as well.  After a day of curing in the sun, they came inside to finish drying on my wire shelves.  All in all it wasn't a terrible harvest, though I worry about how well they will keep in this humid climate. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment