Saturday, March 1, 2014

Spring Fever

Here it is the first of March and we are having yet another snow storm.  I was hoping that Old Man Winter was tired by now, but apparently he has more up his sleeve for this area.  I was hoping for spring to make an early appearance, but so far the only signs of spring are the sprouting seeds that I planted a few weeks ago.
 
The tall pot on the right contains carrots.  The three on the bottom right are lettuce seedlings grown from seed that I saved from plants in my garden last summer.  The center top container is a pair of spinach seedlings.  The lower left hand corner are a few basil seedlings just starting to come up.  The top left is barely just breaking the surface celery seedlings.
 
I was a little doubtful about the germination of some of the seeds so I over planted quite a few of them. I think I had seven or eight sprouts in the lettuces and all that I left behind were two in each pot.  I tried to keeping the ones that looked the biggest at this tender young age.  I figured that if I left two then I was still pretty safe if one of them didn't make it.  I might thin them down to one when they are more established.
 
I planted at least 15 spots in the carrots pot because they don't seem to mind being cramped.  I grew a handful in a shallow flower box last summer and was pleasantly surprised by the small harvest I got from it.  They were the first of the many carrot harvests that I had last year.
 
The calendar says that spring is only three weeks away, so hopefully the weather will get the message and warm up soon.  I really can't wait to start digging in the dirt again.

No comments:

Post a Comment