Monday, March 10, 2014

Home Grown Garlic Powder

Last summer I harvested a ton of garlic (17 lbs. or so) and needless to say I still have plenty left over after planting the largest bulbs for next year and eating a bunch on a regular basis. 
So far they seem to be keeping quite well though the bulbs are showing signs that they would like to grow again.
 I am going to slowly convert what I can't use fresh into powdered garlic. 
 This batch used about 2 1/2 heads of garlic.  I am only doing one dehydrator tray at a time because I only have one sheet for drying foods that will fall through the cracks as they dry.  I cleaned the bulbs and sliced them about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick then spread them out into a single layer on the dehydrator tray.
 
I ran it at about 110 degrees until the pieces were brittle and broke easily.  I will be storing them in chunks like this until I need them.
When I am ready to use them all I need to do is crush them up in my mortar and pestle and voila - the freshest garlic powder that money can't buy.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment