Monday, August 12, 2013

Harvests From This Week

This week the garden has been very productive.  I think I have harvested a little from almost every bed in the garden. 

This is a meager harvest of some Yukon Gold potatoes.  All of my potato plants have died of some sort of blight I think and at this point I am just digging them up as I need them.
This is one evening's harvest which includes a handful of broccoli, a single zucchini, and a mish mosh of tomatoes.
Another evening harvest.  This is the next to last batch of radishes and probably the last of the spring peas.  The first red pepper was finally ripe along with a handful of green peppers.  The cucumbers have been steadily producing between 2 and 8 fruit every day which makes my pickle prospects look fairly decent.
The pole beans have also been increasing their production and I have picked at least a solid quart of beans in the last couple days. 

 
The yellow squash and zucchini only produce a couple fruit every few days.  This has not been a great year for them and I am glad that I have three hills of each kind.  Whatever hasn't been eaten fresh goes directly into the dehydrator. 
 
I wish I had taken some pictures of the celery that I harvested.  I have pulled several bunches this week to give to co-workers who have requested it.  When I harvest the celery I only crack off the largest stalks and leave the plant to continue growing to produce more celery.  I also save the celery leaves in the freezer to make stock with later.
 
I also haven't taken many pictures of the carrots I have harvested.  I generally pull one or two a day to snack on in my lunches or to cook with dinner.  The carrots I have been pulling lately are huge and still have great flavor.  For once most of them look nicer than the ones you can buy at the grocery store.  In years past I haven't had great success with carrots.  This year I tried a different variety and am very pleased with it.
 

Some of my harvests made it into the pan before I remembered to take a picture of them.  This is a skillet with potatoes, green pepper, red onion, and fresh garlic that I had for breakfast one morning.
 
Another harvest was well on it's way to becoming a grill packet before I caught it on my camera.  This includes some of those ever elusive carrots and yellow squash that never quite make it on film whole.
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful harvest! It's amazing that you still have peas and radishes that late in summer. And really nice harvest of beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great harvest. I had never thought of dehydrating vegetables. I have one sitting in a cupboard, will have to drag it out this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put slices of your squash into the dehydrator? Interesting. I never would have thought do to that. What can you do with them, once they're dried?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments everyone!

    Ben - I tend to add my dried zucchini to soups for color and texture. They rehyrate fairly well. I've even rehydrated them and put them into stir fry. I've also read that you can use them when making zucchini bread - you just have to rehydrate them first or adjust your liquid ingredients to make up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often throw my harvests into the pan before I snap a picture of them...it's not so bad ;-) Congrats on some wonderful harvests last week!

    ReplyDelete