Monday, July 22, 2013

Summer Garden in High Gear

The garden harvests have been picking up little by little.  It was only last week that I started finding good sized cucumbers in the pickle patch.  Last week was also the first cherry tomato.  The zucchini and yellow squash started a couple of weeks ago.  The peppers have been coming in ones and twos for a little while too.

This is the carrot bed.  We have been picking carrots as needed from the close end of the bed.  The far end is still being planted row by row.  The late planted carrots will hopefully be our nice storage carrots for the winter.
 
There have also been a couple of the older carrots that are going to flower.
I don't know if I will actually get any viable seeds out of them, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to let them do their thing.
 
This is the onion bed.  Here and there we have been pulling the smaller ones for meals.  The ones that are still growing have good sized bulbs showing through the mulch.  Some of the tops have begun to fall over.  When most of them have fallen we will harvest them and it looks like the harvest will be a good sized one.  I'm thinking that I had originally planted some 200 seedlings, and about 200 or so sets.  I know that not all of them will be huge, and the smaller ones will probably be made into onion powder and used up first.
 
The tomato bed has exploded and the large tomato plants are loaded with huge green fruits.
 
The celery bed looks much better then it did last year.  I think this variety works better in this area than the kind I used last year.  The plants are much fuller with longer, thicker stalks and are not as bitter as last years plants.  I think I will be planting this variety again.
 
 
The broccoli have been chugging along through the summer heat.  I find that if I harvest the florets when they are still small I can usually catch them before they start to flower.  The ones I miss become chicken treats.  So far the onions bordering the bed seem to be keeping some of the bugs away.  The brussel sprout leaves only have a few minor holes in them so far, though they seem to be taking a long time to start making the side shoots.
 
I have even discovered a sneaky kohlrabi plant where I thought I had a brussel sprout.  I never bought kohlrabi seeds, so I think it must have snuck into my brussel sprout seeds.
 
 The peas are still chugging along producing a small daily harvest.  I have planted a second round of peas at the base of the grown peas so we can get a fall harvest too.
 
The pole beans are making a slow recovery from the chicken mauling.  The lower leaves still look half eaten but the leaves twining up the pole look full and happy.  I guess I will have to keep the chickens locked up a bit longer if I intend on harvesting any green beans this year.
 
The zucchini and yellow squash have been putting out a steady one or two fruits every day or two.  What we haven't eaten fresh has gone straight into the dehydrator since it always looks best when it is freshly picked for that.
 
The cucumbers are going into full production mode as well and the plants are loaded with flowers and tiny little fruits.  I am hoping to can my first batch of pickles next week.
 
The rest of the squash have basically taken over the east end of the new addition, shoving peppers and beans out of their way on one side and racing towards the corn on the other.
 
A few watermelons did get a chance to set some fruit before the squash started pushing into their territory.  As for the rest of the melons......I'm afraid they are buried under acorn squash.
 
The sweet corn has reached its peak and should be ready in just a few days.  I am not terribly impressed by the size of the ears and I hope they grow a little more before they are ready for harvest.
 
The dent corn and the sunflowers are now in a race to become the tallest plants in the garden.  I think the dent corn is at least 7-8 feet at this point and they still have yet to tassel.
 
 
 
Thanks for taking a tour of my garden.  Hopefully next time I will have more pictures of the actual harvests.  I just seem to process them before I even think about taking their pictures.
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is looking great. You will be hauling it in before you know it!

    ReplyDelete