Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Shiney New Camping Gear

We are planning a little backpacking trip over the weekend and I ordered a brand new tent to try out on the trip.  My old tent was ruined in a windstorm which was unfortunate but not unexpected.  The tent was over ten years old and had been used plenty of times.  Sometimes things just break when they are old.....or when they are trying to stand up to 50+mph wind gusts or both.  Anyways.  I did quite a bit of research before I bought this tent because it had a lot of shoes to fill.  It had to fit two people and a large dog comfortably - which it can though it will be snug to say the least.  It had to be freestanding because some of the places we camp in are fairly rocky and you can't always stake things down well.  It had to be lightweight because I planned on taking it backpacking with me and I don't want to carry a lot of extra weight - but I do want to be comfortable.  I settled for a three person tent which if you want to be technical is a comfortable two person tent or a one person mansion.  I think the tent weighs in at just under seven pounds which is on the heavy side for one person to carry, but not too bad divided between two people.  It doesn't need a ton of space for the floor - about the width of two full sized inflatable sleeping pads with a little extra head room at the end.  I'm still not sure how comfortable two people and a dog will be, but it will have to do.  It does have a door on either side so getting out is simple even when there are two people in the tent.  The ventilation holes are in places I've never seen ventilation holes before, but it was one of the few tents that I looked at that weren't completely mesh without the fly.  I do want to keep some heat in the tent since most of the places I camp can get into the upper 30's /low 40's at night in the middle of summer.  I think we actually had some frost one night last July so I know that it's possible and I hate to be cold when I sleep.  Overall I think it will be a good tent.  The poles looked a little flimsy to me when I put it together and the pole clips that hold the fabric to the frame look and feel a little cheap, but only time will tell if these are high-tech lightweight advancements or cheap, breakable pieces of crap.  Once the tent was together it seemed to be fairly sturdy.  I could even pick it up by the poles and move it around - footprint and all, so hopefully it will stand up to the elements well for me.  It also didn't take very long to set up by myself and taking it down and rolling it up was a breeze. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment