Monday, July 29, 2013

Fresh Picked Dinner

The garden is yielding a larger variety of veggies these days.  In the evenings when I come home from work I spend some time perusing the garden for ripe and ready to pick vegetables.  I am trying to make a habit of making dinner with what I have on hand from the garden.  Now that the garden is coming into full production mode our dinners have been rounding out quite nicely.


 
Since the lettuce has mostly gone to seed and the new lettuce hasn't quite reached picking stage yet we have been having alot of fresh veggie salads.  They usually involve sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, peas and summer squash.  There really is nothing that you can buy from the store that tastes this good.
 
The rest of the daily harvests either make it into mixed veggie grill packets or get turned into stir fry.  What doesn't make it on the dinner plate generally gets processed and put into the dehydrator so we can use it in our winter meals.  I have found that the fresher the produce is when you start dehyrdating it the better the end product will look and taste.  This summer the dehyrator has been running almost every evening since the first harvests of peas started coming in.

 

7 comments:

  1. Lovely harvest!

    Do you have any suggestions about how to select a dehydrator? The pricetag seems so very steep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dehydrator that I use is actually a hand me down from my parents who rarely used it. I think it is at least 10 years old but still working well. You might try looking at your local salvation army stores, or any reasale shops in the area. You never know what you might run across.

      I don't know alot about different types of dehydrators but mine has an adjustable temperature control and had a great instruction book with lots of suggestions and guidelines. It is round which helps things to dry more evenly and can be stacked 12 rounds high, though I only have 4 and haven't needed the extra space so far.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorites things to do upon returning home after a long day at work is to walk through the garden too :-) Love that you're trying to cook dinner from the garden each day! What a wonderful goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a nice variety of harvest from your garden! I would love to invest in a dehydrator one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to base most of my meals on what's coming from the garden also, so at the moment it means eating a LOT of zucchini. :) You've got a nice variety of veggies coming from the garden right now, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing that you are still getting peas and radishes while picking tomatoes and corn! Fresh vegetables from the garden are just so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely harvest! This nice assortment will make really great dinner.

    ReplyDelete