Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Delicata Sqaush?

I planted delicata squash for the first time this year and while there are definitely some delicata squash looking things on the vine I also have this:
 
 
This monstrosity does not look anything like a delicata squash except for the green and white stripes.  I think I may have gotten some kind of delicata pumpkin cross or maybe this is just some type of mutant plant?  Either way I was curious what they tasted like so I cut one from the vine.  I know that it may be a little early to harvest a winter squash but this one was starting to turn orange so I thought it might be edible. 
 
Cutting into it, it resembled a pumpkin on the inside, though the flesh was paler than a pumpkin.  It still did seem a little green around the edges so I probably should have given it more time.  It was so large that a quarter of this squash made a decent side dish for two people.  Right now there are still three quarters of it left in the fridge waiting to be used.  My favorite way to eat squash is roasted with brown sugar and butter.  I think with the size of our squash harvest we will need to get creative with ways to use it all up.  Any suggestions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment