Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Garden Is Taking Off - Part Three

This year's addition is doing well now that things have had a little time to grow.  The only problem is that the weeds are doing very well also and I'm having a hard time keeping up with them.

The peppers seem to be holding their own against the weeds so far.  Most of the beds in this section are so over run with weeds that all I can do is try to keep them away from the immediate vicinity of the plants that I do want in the garden. 
 
Even though the plants are still fairly small, some of them have actually started to make peppers.  I hope this is a hint of the size of the harvest to come.  I have a feeling that as long as the summer stays hot and sunny, the peppers will be quite happy.
 
The corn has started to come along as well.  If I can keep the weeds down until they get bigger they may be able to outcompete them and I won't have to work so hard to keep the weeds at bay.
 
The bush beans are starting to pop nicely also.  These are going to be saved for next years seed so I'm not really counting on a huge harvest  this time around.  I just want to get enough to see if I like them enough to keep growing them.
 
 The winter squash are also starting to fill out nicely.  It looks like we will be growing about 24 plants which means we should get a lot of squash from these beds.
 
Even the watermelons look like they will be making an attempt this year, though they are still small.  The yellow spots on the leaves are a part of how this plant is supposed to look.  It will even get yellow spots on the fruit when it is ripe and it's called amish moon and stars for the patterns on the rind of the melons. 
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment