Friday, June 21, 2013

Not a Single Strawberry

Over the past few days the strawberry harvest has been dwindling.  Not that it was ever huge or anything,  but 7 or 8 berries a day really takes a long time to add up to anything substantial. I was diligently saving the fresh berries in a bag in the freezer until there would be enough to make jam.  My pathetic grand total amounts to half a quart bag of frozen strawberries.  Maybe enough to make 2 1/2 pint jars of jam when all is said and done.

I think that I may get just a couple more berries if I keep my eyes peeled when I'm digging around in the strawberry bed, unless some other critter beats me to them instead.  I think that may be what happened yesterday when I went looking for strawberries to pick.  I was sure that I would have a couple to pick that weren't quite ready a couple days ago, but when I looked there was nothing at all but a couple mostly eaten berries hanging from their stems.  If this is the way things are now then it looks like my strawberry harvest has come to an end for this year.  Maybe next year I will plant a couple dozen everbearing varieties so I can extend the harvest through the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment