Friday, April 26, 2013

The downside of raising baby chickens

I was looking closely at the babies today and noticed that one of them had a bald patch on the back of it's head.  Looking closer it appears as though the other chicks have been pecking at this particular chick quite badly in the past few days.  Then after I put the baby back in with the other babies I noticed something else.  That same pecked baby looked knock kneed to me.  It was standing on both it's legs and using both equally to move around, but one leg was definitely at an odd angle to the other.  At first I thought that somehow it had gotten a broken leg.  I felt up and down the leg and nothing seemed out of place, though the thigh bone did feel curved to me.  The poor baby had a leg deformity.  It would never be able to walk normal and as it grows the deformity would probably cripple it completely.  Unfortunately this means that I did not want this chicken in my flock.  I do not want to breed sickly chickens with health problems.  I also think that the other chicks were pecking at it because it was the weakest chick in the group, and it couldn't defend itself well.  I decided that it should be culled to end it's suffering.  I know it sounds cruel, but from a farmer's point of view, it would only cost me more in the way of feed and time to allow this deformed chicken to live out it's natural life.  The same feed and time I could be devoting to the other healthy, normal chickens that I would like to have more of.  I don't regret killing the baby because it's future only held more suffering - of getting picked on by the other chickens, and pain in it's deformed leg when it got bigger.  Sadly our flock has shrunk by one, but hopefully none of the other chicks will have that problem and grow up to be healthy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment