Monday, April 1, 2013

Seed Potatoes

The seed potatoes that I bought last week have sprouted nicely on my kitchen table.  My plan is to cut each of these potatoes into two or more seed potatoes before I finally plant them out.  I am waiting until the sprouts are a little bigger, then I will cut them up and allow them to callous over for a day or two before they go into the ground. 

The plan is to have at least two beds of potatoes this year since the last two years we have only had one bed and the potatoes barely lasted until the begining of January.  I might change my plans a little and add a third bed depending on how many seed potatoes I can get out of what I have.  If they all come up as planned I should have around 126 plants total.  Hopefully that will get us from one harvest to the next without having to go back to store bought taters in the spring.  If we have leftovers from growing these potatoes, they might just become next years seed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment