Sunday, April 7, 2013

Planting Onions

Spring is officially here and I am chomping at the bit to get things growing out in the garden.  I've been watching the weather closely and it looks like there won't be too many more nights below freezing outside.  I've also been watching my onion seedlings closely and they are growing like crazy.  It is about time they got planted outside.  I wasn't sure how soon I could put them out permanently, but everything I've read so far says that they are frost tolerant so I've decided that it is time to take the plunge.

The onion bed was turned over several weeks ago and had a layer of compost mixed into it so it was all ready for planting.  I started out by making rows with a hoe, but as the planting went along it became apparent that digging little holes by hand was much more effective.  I tried to space the onions about 3 inches apart which sounds close, but I'm hoping they grow well enough to crowd out the weeds by being so close together.  Onions don't have very prolific roots so keeping the ground moist is very important in the onion bed.  In this dry climate I have learned that mulching does wonders for keeping the soil moist.

I was surprised by how much space this little flat of onion seedlings actually filled up.

 There are about 100 plants in this little square.


Once all the plants were in I gave them a good soaking and then sprinkled them with straw.  Not only does the mulch help keep the moisture in, but it also helps to maintain the soil temperature which protects the plants from light frosts at night.  Straw mulch is also nice for the cooler weather loving plants because it keeps the roots cool in the hot sun.

My seedlings didn't quite fill up the whole bed, so the remainder is planted with sets.



Any sets that I have left over will become a border to the brussel sprout and broccoli bed to help confuse the insects that love to eat those plants.
 I can't wait to see the size of this harvest in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment