Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Late Season Snowstorm

The weather channel has been calling for some snow and cold temps here for the next few days.  When I left for work this morning the temp was hovering around 40 degrees.  I thought that the temps were supposed to drop later in the day and the snow wasn't supposed to start until tonight.  I uncovered the lettuce and the peach tree thinking they would have a little time to warm up before I covered them when I got home.

The snow started at 10 this morning and the temp has been steadily dropping all day.  This is what I got to come home to:

the pea sprouts are completely covered in a blanket of snow
 
the onions have been tucked in as well
 
the garlic stands tall above the snow
 
 
The lettuce and spinach bed was pretty well covered too, but I decided to cover it more with a few plastic containers and a sheet.  I am hoping that the heavy layer of snow acts more like an insulating blanket on the garden.  I know that snow is cold, but the temperatures are supposed to dip into the low 20s which could be fatal to some of the things that have sprouted.  Hopefully the snow keeps their temps at a much "warmer" 32 degrees where they are less likely to be severely damaged.  I am also hoping the straw mulch I put down helps too.  The answer will come in the next couple days when the weather warms up again.
 
The lettuce all covered up with water jugs and buckets and an extra layer provided by an old sheet.
 
Our little peach tree was just starting to put out flower buds, though they weren't quite close to open yet.  I covered the tree with a couple of sheets and tied it securely.  I'm not sure if these temperatures will damage the buds at this stage, but I am willing to try to save them if I can.  I guess I got a little overzealous in my spring planting.  I just hope that I didn't ruin my efforts this far by putting things out too early. 
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment