Saturday, March 16, 2013

Onion Seedlings update

 
I planted the first round of onion seeds on January 5th and the next round about a week later.  So far the seedlings look fairly happy.  They do get a little droopy because it is so dry out here and it's hard to keep their shallow containers evenly moist.  Even so, they keep growing.  At this point some of them are at least six inches tall.  I'm debating on transplanting them to their own pots before they make it out to the garden.  I just don't think I will have enough pots for all the seedlings, or enough room under the grow lights.  Not to mention enough time to transplant all the seedlings - there are about 200 of them in these two little flats.  I am hoping that I will be able to transplant them directly into the garden even if I have to build a temporary hoop house over them.

 
These two pictures are about 5 weeks after planting

This is how big they are at about 8 weeks
 
Some of the onions didn't make it, but the ones that are still here are growing stronger everyday.
I've been trying to get them used to the colder temps by putting them outside during the day.  Luckily we have had some pretty nice weather this last week.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment