Friday, March 1, 2013

Ice Lake Hike

Last summer we had gradually worked our way up to hiking some of what I would define as more difficult trails.  By more difficult I mean higher elevation.  The trail to Ice Lake takes you above tree line which is around 12000 feet.  I believe the hike starts at an elevation of around 8-9000 feet.  This means that almost the entire hike to the lake is uphill, and we aren't talking a gentle slope either.  Some parts of this trail make you feel like you are on the stairclimber from hell.  Once you get up far enough though, the view can be a nice distraction from the burning in your legs. 
 
 


I believe we did the hike around the month of July.  Hiking in this area is best for only a few short months of the year because of the early start and late end to winter at the higher elevations.  I've also learned that hiking is best done early in the day during the summer months because the monsoon storms generally start in the early afternoon and it is not safe to be above treeline in a lightning storm - unless of course you enjoy being a lightning rod.



Another bonus of hiking during that time of year are the wildflowers.  Acres and acres of colorful flowers all along the trail as you hike through mountain meadows and along tiny streams from melting snow. 

 
 


I think the most amazing part of the whole hike is once you get above treeline.  The whole world opens up before you and you can't even imagine how you could possibly still have to hike uphill anymore (maybe is was the altitude that made me feel that way).  I was quite impressed by the retired folks that were passing us hiking up this trail - being as young and fit as we are, we were finding it difficult to catch our breath.  I don't know where those people got the energy from.  All I can say is that I hope that I will be that fit when I get to be their age!



The final destination of the hike was a crystal blue lake nestled just under some forboding looking rock faces.  It was quiet and serene and it makes you feel like you are the only person on the face of the planet.  The lake's water was so clear that you could see pretty far down into the lake and I imagine that it is deeper than I think.  I was a little surprised that there were no signs of life in that water, though I'm sure that the cold water combined with the short summer and high elevation there probably aren't many species that could survive there.



Round trip I think that the hike took us about 4-5 hours.  It could have taken longer if we stayed by the lake for a while, but some mean looking clouds were rolling in over the mountain and we had no intention of getting stuck in a thunderstorm out there.  Needless to say, we made great time on the way down.

No comments:

Post a Comment