Saturday, February 16, 2013

What seeds I have planted this week

Last weekend marks the real start of seed planting for me.  I've planted four kinds of lettuce, celery, brussel sprouts, spinach, chamomile, and cumin.  The plan is to plant another batch of all of these in a few short weeks so I can attempt to lengthen my harvest times.  Lettuce tends to bolt in our hot, dry summer, so an early start is essential for them. Hopefully if the weather cooperates I will be able to plant them out under cover in about 4-6 weeks (as long as they all sprout).  I have a very limited amount of space for seed starting in my house, so rotating crops is a must if I want to fit them all in.

I am trying out the used paper towel roll idea for some of my seeds this year to see how it does. So far, the spinach and some of the lettuce have begun to sprout, but there is also a thick white mold growing on the outsides of all the rolls. I don't know if that will go away once I uncover them, but I hope it doesn't hurt the seedlings. I may have to rethink this idea.

The first of the spinach seedlings!
 
 
I am also worried that they won't hold up long enough to make it to planting outside.  On the plus side, maybe the mold means they are super biodegradable once they get out in the dirt - kinda like a peat pot - maybe better? 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thought about the mold. I have got to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kendra! I'm a friend of Ben's from the old days at the Olive Garden. I, too, grow my plants from seed. When mold appears on my seedlings (grown in peat pots)I spritz them with a chamomile tea. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats an interesting idea with the chamomile tea. I may have to try that, though I'm afraid these pots may be too far gone.

    ReplyDelete