Saturday, February 23, 2013

Goals in Self Sufficiency

I am a firm believer in having goals of all kinds.  My ultimate end goal at this point is to be as close to completely self sufficient as possible.  The biggest thing I need to make this happen is a 3-5 acre plot of farmable land with a water supply and no restrictions.  If I had that then I would darn near be in heaven.  After that I think the rest would just fall into place when I find time to make things happen.  Things like putting in an orchard, a large garden, a large chicken coop, and in the long run adding sheep and pigs.  (If you guessed I wanted to be a farmer then you guessed correctly!)

Keep in mind as you read this that none of these dreams materialized overnight.  Only by taking one small step at a time did the bigger picture come into view.  It may have started with wanting to live a more frugal life, but I have come to realize that it is difficult to talk the talk without walking the walk.  Now instead of wanting more and more I find myself wanting less and less.

The first modern convienence I learned to live without was a TV.  All the mindless programing that I watched for hours and hours gave way to finding better things to do with my time (and once the TV was gone I had alot of time!)  I began to read more books and learned how to do all sorts of things.  I learned to bake bread, make soap, raise chickens, make wine, spin yarn, and now I even know how to blog!  Learning those things only inspire me to go out in the world and learn even more.  Some day I hope to make my own cheese, shear my own sheep, and run my own small business doing all the things that I have come to love.

Do you have any long term goals that you want to share?  I think telling other people is the first step for making your dream a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment