Thursday, February 21, 2013

Garden Projects

Over the next few weeks the garden will be getting geared up for spring.  I have to clean up the beds I didn't get to before it got too cold.  I need to spead compost this year on more beds than I did last year.  Hopefully my compost bin is finally ready.  Out here things tend to take awhile to compost because its so dry. 

I started turning over the beds I want to use for lettuce.  It seems early to me but the ground has dried out enough and it's been warm enough that the soil is workable.

 
Last year this bed attempted to grow sweet corn.  The 5 ears we actually ate from it were delicious.
 
 
 
 This is the bed I am planning to plant lettuce and spinach in.  I am hoping to do succesion plantings of these this year so we have a more constant supply of lettuce.  I attempted to do that last year by direct sowing the lettuce in the garden.  This year I am going to start seedlings indoor every couple weeks and transplant them outside when they get sturdy enough.  I'm actually hoping to plant some lettuce outside under a small hoop house by March 21st. 
 
 
Last year this was a busy bed.  It started out as an onion and garlic bed which was followed by plantings of carrots and radishes.  I added a thick layer of compost to it to make up for being used so heavily last year.
 
 
Celery is in it's future.  I hope the plants do better this year than they did last year.  Our total celery harvest from last year barely filled a half pint jar when it was dried. 
 
Well that was enough for one weekend.  Next round of warm weather we are going to rent a rototiller.  Gotta love the heavy machinery!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment